• AKAForums.ru

Русскоязычная версия форума (требуется отдельная регистрация).
    Все о металлоипоиске с детекторами АКА теперь и на русском языке!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Your attention is required!

Please note that short versions of thread content are provided to unregistered users and guests.

Furthermore some threads are kept hidden from unregistered users and guests.

In order to get access to all threads, read thread content full versions and do not miss a thing,

please register to AKAForums.com

Registration to AKAForums.com and access are free

Coin cleaning

Discussion in 'Equipment & Instruments' started by Rew, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Rew

Rew "AKA United Kingdom" Group Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    6:14 AM
    I just received from America a nice fiberglass pencil for cleaning bronzes. I brought 4 in fact as it was cheeper that way.
    Not bad at all, I like it. Works great on bronze coins under a magnifier to lift and reveal detail, but it will scratch silver so be careful.

Just thinking, I personally leave any coin alone that is valuable or think that I could ruin by the silver foil trick and messing around with them. But there are a few silvers and coppers that I just want to try my hand at cleaning them up. What are you all doing with your coins or artifacts to clean them.
    I know Such Much has some wonder full chemicals that he uses on bronzes to treat bronze disease.
    I've tried the olive oil soaking coins trick, but left it to long,...10 months:Blush: it started removing the green patinia.

Any others out there cleaning?

2. vint1

vint1 AKA Master Supporter

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Vinny
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00)
    good question rew , im looking too , there is some coin wax , suppose to clean too , at moment i am a soap and water man , lol

3. mschmahl

mschmahl "AKA Deutschland" Group Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    You can use toothpick´s. The wood doesn´t make much damage, if the coin-sustance is ok. But for thin copper coins it isn´t the right tool...

4. Turbowrench

Turbowrench AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Signum:
    MFD (2.05)
    I have heard most coin hunters do use water only.
    1. Doesnt harm the find ( unless you rub too hard with coarse material)
    2. Do not clean/try to make the find look like in pristine condition, as it might greatly reduce the its value
    3. Before using whatever wax, or other cleaning products consider a very thorough research.

Please note I am not an expert and the above is not from personal experience.

SuchMuch likes this.
  5. TS
    TS
    Rew

Local Time:
    I'm not a wax kind of person. Water and mild soap is always a first port of call. Hammereds I don't touch. Some of the Romans need a little extra help but again I use my own judgment weather to or not.
    I have heard that collecting Hawthorne spikes and placing in a pin vice works well, I might try this on the silver .

6. TS
    TS
    Rew

Local Time:
    Here's a couple of needle/pin vices that I use. No, I do not use the steel needle, that was used on another project. But you can put in tooth picks.
    IMG_20160416_175650.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 16, 2016 ---
    And here is the Fiberglass pencil.
    IMG_20160416_183824.jpg

nigel westwood likes this.
  7. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    9:14 AM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    Strictly say No to oils, common water, soap and water

Copper/Bronze objects

1. Soak in distilled water only for 12 hours from one side, then from another side for 12 hours. Object should be kept at high thus salts to be able falling down. Avoid soaking in distilled water for a long time!
    salz1.jpg

2. Soak in 3%-5% benzotriazol solution under vacuum for 24-48 hours. Use gloves and safety glasses since benzotriazol solution is poisonous. Should you spoil it over yr skin - wash with soap and water thoroughly several times. If you decide to prepare benzotriazol solution on yr own, avoid doing this in living quarters, waring respirator, gloves and safety mask is compulsory.

3. Dry in warm dry place for couple of days or under infrared lamp for several hours.

4. Cover with wax or paraloid B-72 or avoid covering at all but store in dry place (less than 30% humidity). Covering and storing in dry place would be better.

5. Clean finds under microscope with mechanical instruments.

PS.
    New section devoted to finds handling will be started soon.

Forum Threads

• Coin cleaning

Rew, Apr 15, 2016
    Replies:
    Views:
    SuchMuch
    Apr 17, 2016