• AKAForums.ru

Русскоязычная версия форума (требуется отдельная регистрация).
    Все о металлоипоиске с детекторами АКА теперь и на русском языке!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Your attention is required!

Please note that short versions of thread content are provided to unregistered users and guests.

Furthermore some threads are kept hidden from unregistered users and guests.

In order to get access to all threads, read thread content full versions and do not miss a thing,

please register to AKAForums.com

Registration to AKAForums.com and access are free

New Berkut User / Fixing No Audio Through the Unit

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by $$$$$$coins, Jul 3, 2017.

1. $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    4:41 PM
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    Hi all, today I got myself a used berkut with 8" concentric coil. When I first got the machine I had audio through the unit then took it on a test run with headphones, returned home to do more tests and now I have no sound through the unit, have factory reset many times and removed batteries and still no sound only through headphones, is this a setting thing or a faulty wire? I opened the control housing to have a quick look but I couldn't see any loose wires, I'm not tech savvy and these units have no support in Australia.

Secondly I don't see much info on the coil I have and it is not represented in the coil menu, any help would be appreciated.

I'm not new to detecting and have used many top end machines deus, ctx, impact and others but this one will take some learning, especially with no sound coming through the unit.

On a brighter note the first target I dug with the machine was a 6 gram gold ring, so it does work but I got a lot of work to do, there seemed to be a lot of high tone falsing but I only got to use it for 20 minuets so hopefully I can figure that out.

Feel free to help me out with any pointers

Cheers
    $$$$$

SuchMuch likes this.
  2. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    9:11 AM
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    Hi $$$$$,
    :Welcome: on forum!
    It looks like an issue with headphone jack (check thread "No Sound on Signum MFT"). The best would be to resolder the jack or substitute jack with new one locally (instead of sending to AKA). If it does not help then speaker is subject to be substituted with a new one. These repairs do not impact warranty.

AKA used to produce concentric coil long time ago, check thread "AKA concentric coil?". Right at the moment it's not an easy task to buy subject coil even in Russia. Those who own this coil usually use it on trashy sites only.

Adapting Concentric Coil to B-5:
    1. Create new profile for concentric coil
    2. Adapt coil and GB. Pay special attention to direction ground hodo line moves when GBing: Hodo line should move from right to left. If it moves from left to right, keep pressing button "Fn" and do GB. With button "Fn" pressed, phase will be inverted by 180 degrees and hodo line will move from right to left. AKA concentric coils could have "inverted" phase by default. Check thread "Registering Coil to AKA Berkut-5"
    High tone falsings are caused by wrong GB. Wrong GB is caused by misadapted coil

3. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    Thank You Suchmuch for your reply, I think the audio appears to be a speaker issue more so than a jack issue, maybe an electronics technician here can take a look for me at some point.

Looks like I would be better off trying to source a dd coil then, but with the sound issue I don't really want to put too much money into the machine, and it would be hard to sell without audio, a golden day went bad real quick.

I will give the coil adaption a shot at some stage tomorrow.

Thank You.

4. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    There were some reports equal to yours, I have found that thread: "Control box on the way back to Bulgaria"
    DD coil is definitely a must have until. Concentric coil is rather a coil for specific tasks (super trashy sites)

5. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    my problem is a little different, through the headphones audio is perfect but if I disconnect the headphones there is no audio at all coming through the internal speaker
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2017 ---
    I spoke to a local technician and he wanted to know if there is a switch within the jack itself that switches audio between headphones and unit, I personally have no idea but he will take a look at it later in the week

6. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
  7. StiV

StiV AKA Europe Supporter AKA Supplier AKA Intronika

Local Time:
    8:11 AM
    Intronik:
    STF
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    Is that Berkut 5?
    You can measure the loudspeaker resistance. It should be 50 ohms. If so, then the problem is in the headphone socket and it needs to be replaced. If there is no resistance on the speaker's pins, then the reason is in it and need to be replaced with another new.

SuchMuch likes this.
  8. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    Yes it is the Berkut 5. Excuse my ignorance but how does one measure the loudspeaker resistance? I'm presuming a technician would know what this means.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017, Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2017 ---
    Thank You StiV for your help also

9. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    One would unsolder 2 speaker wires and measure resistance with a multimeter. I'm sure yr technician knows how to do that

10. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    What is the process for sending the unit to an approved repairer as this would be my safest option, is it costly? I understand I would have to pay shipping to Europe but are/would the repairs be costly?

11. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    Get in touch with AKA Bulgaria (StiV) and send control box them. I don't think repairs will be costy.

12. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    Thank you.

13. StiV

StiV AKA Europe Supporter AKA Supplier AKA Intronika

Local Time:
    8:11 AM
    Intronik:
    STF
    Signum:
    MFD (2.06)
    There is no need of desoldering the speaker. You can directly measure its resistance as shown in the picture. If the ohmmeter does not show anything, it means the speaker is defected and needs to be replaced. If you see about 50 Ohms (maybe more or less, according to the accuracy of the ohmmeter) then the problem is in the headphone socket. Just the contacts inside it are not good and it needs to be replaced. Much easy, cheap and fast will be to send one speaker or socket to you, than ship whole detector.
    Of course, if you can't do this, you can send it to us and we will fix it.
    IMAG2004.jpg

Rew and SuchMuch like this.
  14. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Detectorist

Local Time:
    First Name:
    Rodion
    Sorex:
    Pro (1.00) A-Gain
    Beak:
    ***qte***
    Petal that switches between external audio and headphones could have broken and stucked at position "headphones"
    ***unqte***

K-52:
    ***qte***
    You are right, lost contact is the reason. Usually it's a jack that responsible for sound issues.
    ***unqte***

PS.
    K-52 is a Berkut creator

15. Rew

Rew "AKA United Kingdom" Group Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Local Time:
    6:11 AM
    So after all that, how did you get on $$$$$$coins.

16. TS
    TS
    $$$$$$coins

$$$$$$coins AKA Novice

Local Time:
    Berkut-5:
    Standard (5.17)
    I tested the speaker like the picture shows and it appears to be ok as ohms were in the ballpark of 50. I believe StiV is sending me a headphone jack to replace the existing one, hopefully that solves the problem. I found a gold ring in 5 minutes with this machine and thats about all the time I've spent with it, but really it is a trade I wish I never made, once repaired I will be trying to move it on.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, this is actually a great forum, my problem was basically addressed and solved within hours and all were willing to help.

Thank You
    Brendon.

Rew and SuchMuch like this.

Forum Threads